Saturday, March 5, 2011

Dr. Seuss

We had fun reading lots of Dr. Seuss books and doing fun activities to celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday this week!

 Of course we ate green eggs for breakfast and we also ate a lunch based on some of his stories. Pink lemonade (Yink ink), sandwiches with one half plain and one half with a star on it (The Sneeches), goldfish crackers (One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish), and a chocolate turtle candy (Yertle the Turtle).

My kids love cut and paste activities so I picked up a Dr. Seuss scissor activity pad and they enjoyed working on the activities in it.




We read The Cat in the Hat and tried to see how much we could balance on our heads and in our hands.

 I joined in on the fun too, Boo took this blurry one of me

We read The Foot Book and talked about non-standard units of measurement and measured how many of their feet long different objects were around the house.
You may notice in the background that I haven't gotten around to changing our calendar to March yet :)

We read There's A Wocket in My Pocket and then did a rhyming activity. I made a pocket out of construction paper and then gave Buzz and Boo each a stack of index cards with words at their reading level. They had to read the word and write down a rhyming word on a blank card and put them both in the pocket. They both did a great job! Boo was able to read all of her words without help and sound out most of the rhyming words that she came up with on her own. I knew Buzz wouldn't have any trouble reading his words, but I did give him some that were tricky to rhyme and he did a great job too!

The favorite activity of the week was reading Bartholomew and the Oobleck and making oobleck out of cornstarch and water!




We also talked about pen names and the difference between books Theodor Geisel wrote under the name Dr. Seuss and ones he wrote under the name Theo LeSieg (do you know?)

Plus we just had a good time snuggling up with our huge collection of Dr. Seuss (and Theo LeSieg) books and enjoying them together!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm... Theo Lesieg .... In a People House, and Ten Apples Up on Top. :) I know there are probably more, but those are the only ones I can think of right now. :) What a fun week you had. I see a few brave people made Oobleck this week. Maybe I'll venture there next year.

    ReplyDelete